I imagine you’re reading this because you hope to make a meaningful, authentic connection. I understand that seeking help can feel daunting and I admire your courage. You don’t need to go through your challenges alone.
My commitment is to care for my clients with a genuine and accepting heart. Building a trusting therapeutic relationship is my priority.
I embrace diversity and will hold a non-judgmental space for you to come just as you are. There is no need to hold back or to censor yourself – really! In fact, I work best with quirky, unconventional folks.
When things feel overwhelming or even impossible, I will always remain hopeful. I can be your most relentless advocate and supporter. Or if you desire a push towards growth, I have your back there too.
Experience and Approach
Earlier in my journey, I was an educator. With a passion for helping children and adolescents thrive, my experiences range from mentoring at-risk youth to teaching sex-ed. (See, nothing fazes me!)
Today, I help adults, adolescents, and couples flourish in their holistic health, relationships, careers, and identities. My approach is grounded in my pursuit for social justice and the mission to promote healthy families.
I describe my modality as systemic, culturally affirming, relational, and strength-based. I draw from empirically-supported modalities like Internal Family Systems (IFS) and Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy (PACT), and am trained in Emotionally Focused Therapy* by ICEEFT.
Beyond the therapist, I’m a pug foster-mom living in colorful East Austin. I am also the co-founder of Austin Counseling Collective. Some other roles I enjoy include: writer, photographer, athlete, and traveler. I encourage you to read my blog for a glimpse inside my mind and soul.
*EFT is “the only model of couple intervention that uses a systematic empirically validated theory of adult bonding as the basis for understanding and alleviating relationship problems”. (See research).
Please contact me for a free 15-minute phone consultation to see if I’m a good fit for you. I’ll gladly answer all your questions.
Hi! I’m Yuzu, a puggle that loves to cuddle. Sometimes, I hang out with my mommy at work.
Everyone says I’m really sweet and soothing.
I’m happy to keep y’all company in exchange for belly rubs.
My small puggle is a part of my practice and often hangs out in my office. She is calm, friendly, and loves to greet clients. If you are uncomfortable with dogs, please let me know. I am happy to come up with a solution with you and to accommodate your needs.
- Licensed marriage & family therapist associate (LMFT-A #202692) by Texas State Board of Examiners, supervised by Nadia Bakir LMFT-S
- Emotionally Focused Therapist (ICEEFT)
- Master’s degree in Counseling from Messiah College (CACREP accredited): specializing in marriage, couples, and family therapy
- Premarital education certifications: SYMBIS and PREPARE/ENRICH
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education from Simon Fraser University
- Texas Educator Certificate from the Texas Education Agency
- International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Austin Emotionally Focused Therapy Community (Austin EFT)
- Counselor Academic & Professional Honor Society International (Chi Sigma Iota)
- Austin Chapter of the Texas Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (Austin AMFT)
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- Trained in counseling adults, adolescents, couples, and blended/ step families
- Excels in cultural competence and welcomes dialogue around sexuality, and spiritual, gender, and cultural identity
- In-depth experience in working with children and youth from diverse backgrounds, including at-risk youth and children with special needs
- Served in a number of community and non-profit settings
- Competing athlete that can provide tips on wellness and healthy living